Country Information Republic of Moldova
Moldova, officially the Republic of Moldova, is a landlocked country in Eastern Europe, bordered by Romania to the west and Ukraine to the North, East, and South. The capital city is Chisinau.
Moldova is a Parliamentary Republic with a President as head of state and a Prime Minister as Head Of Government. It is a member state of the United Nations, the Council of Europe, the World Trade Organization, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the GUAM Organization for Democracy and Economic Development, the Commonwealth of Independent States and the Organisation of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation and aspires to join the European Union.
1977 -The Standardization and Metrology Center of Moldova is created
1992 - The Governmental Institution “Standardization and Metrology Center of Moldova” founded by the State Department for Standards and Metrology of the Republic of Moldova, is registered
1998 - The name of the institution is changed to the 'National Center for Standardization, Metrology and Certification'
2002 – 'National Center for Standardization, Metrology and Certification' is reorganised into the 'National Institute for Standardization and Metrology'
2013 - The National Institute for Metrology is founded as a Public Institution with attributions in the field of legal metrology and maintenance of the National Measurement Standards Database
Legal Framework of the National Metrology Institute of Moldova is Defined With
The Law on Metrology of Moldova number 19 from 04.03.2016 and byelaws based on the mentioned Law.
Metrology Infrastructure in Moldova is organised with following parts:
- Central Metrology Authority – central public administration branch body under the Government, responsible for the quality infrastructure – the Ministry of Economy and Infrastructure
- National Metrology Institute
- National Standards System
- National Council of Metrology
- Metrological services of legal entities
- Consumer Protection and Market Surveillance Agency
Main Tasks of the National Metrology Institute According to Law on Metrology of Moldova
- implements at national level, the state policy in the field of metrology
- ensures metrological traceability of the measurement results performed in Moldova, to the International System of Units (SI) by elaborating, researching, developing, maintaining and preserving national standards; performs comparisons of national standards at regional and international levels, and also preserves and disseminates legal units of measurement from the national standards to the standards of lower hierarchical level up to the working standards
- concludes and performs agreements on mutual recognition of national measurement standards and calibration certificates issued by national metrology institutes in
- accordance with the requirements of the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIMP MRA)
- represents the national reference for determining technical competence in the field of metrology, including for standards
- provides consultation to specialized central bodies of public administration, as well as to natural persons and legal entities on technical problems in the field of metrology
- participates according to its competencies in international and regional forums and organizations in the field of metrology and also performs other functions of international cooperation in metrology, delegated by the central authority for metrology
- trains and improves the competencies of specialists involved in metrological verifications
- exercises legal metrological control by type approval, metrological verification of measuring instruments, metrological expertise of measuring instruments and expertise of the draft normative documents in the field of legal metrology
- keeps the state Register of measuring instruments, manage database on registered measuring instruments
- develops normative documents in legal metrology field, harmonized with international and regional practice
- provides technical support necessary for metrological supervision
- manages the national fund of normative documents in legal metrology
Measuring Instruments Subject to Law on Metrology
The measuring instruments subject to legal metrological control are contained in the Official List of measuring instruments and measurements under the legal metrology control, approved by Governmental Ordinance no. 1042 from 13.09.2016. The Official List is updated periodically. Most of the measuring instruments are subject to type approval, initial verification and mandatory reverification.
National type approval responsibility rests with National Metrology Institute of Moldova for measuring instruments according to the Official List of measuring instruments and measurements under the legal metrology control. Fees and costs for issuing a type approval certificate are defined in Government Ordinance.
Initial verification of measuring instruments is performed by NMI laboratories or accredited and authorized laboratories. Initial verification procedure is specified by regulation.
Inspection and Reverification
A mandatory re-verification system operates through periodical verification and verification after repair. These verifications are performed in the NMI laboratories or in accredited and authorized laboratories.
The maximum verification intervals are indicated in the Official List of measuring instruments and measurements under legal metrology control approved by the Government.
Here are a few examples:
- Taximeters: 1 year
- Weights: 1 year
- Weighing instruments: 1 year
- Fuel dispensers: 6 month
- Water meters: 5 years
- Gas meters: 5 years
- Radars: 1 year
- Heat meters: 5 years
The National Metrology Institute of Moldova currently has 63 employees. Most of them are engineers. The staff engaged in type approvals, verifications, calibrations is engineers with technical background.
The market surveillance of the measuring instruments and pre-packages is performed by Consumer Protection and Market Surveillance Agency.
Implementation of European Directives
Moldova has transposed and implemented European directives in metrology and pre-packages field.
The market surveillance of these measuring instruments and pre-packages is performed by Consumer Protection and Market Surveillance Agency.
In Moldova all the measuring instruments under the European Directive 2014/32/EU are subject to legal metrological control.
National Metrology Institute
28 Eugen Coca str., Chisinau, Moldova
Phone: 00373 22 903 100
Fax: 00373 22 903 111
LAST UPDATE: FEBRUARY 2018